Learning to move and run in Vibram FiveFingers®.
Since the launch of Vibram FiveFingers® in 2006, the concept of minimalism, and minimalist running in particular, has spawned a recurring public debate. So, how are we supposed to do this minimalist/barefoot thing? The truth is, there isn’t a single correct approach – it’s probably more complicated than that. However, as one of the prominent leaders in this movement, we want to give you Vibram’s take on it. We believe that moving and running in Vibram FiveFingers® can make us healthier, happier, and more connected to our bodies. We hope the following information will help you discover how YOU can safely explore the joys of natural movement.
Wearing Vibram FiveFingers® for running, fitness training, water sports or just for fun will make your feet stronger and healthier—naturally. And while we do love our Vibram FiveFingers®, we don’t believe it is the only footwear you will ever need. There are many times when you need the protection and security of a shoe or boot. Like all things in life, there is a balance, and Vibram FiveFingers® provides a healthy alternative to traditional footwear. Following the tips below will allow you to make the switch to Vibram FiveFingers® more comfortably, safely and effectively.
- Listen to your feet! Switching to Vibram FiveFingers® from traditional shoes is a transition that may take time. For some, it is a matter of weeks, for others months, and for a few it could be a year or more. Much is dependent on your foot type, the activities you’re using Vibram FiveFingers® for, and the amount of pronation you experience. The progression will ultimately be worth the wait, and your foot and body will be stronger and better off for it. The answer lies in your inherent foot and body biomechanics and the condition of your muscles. Just remember, improving the skill of those muscles then practicing and using those muscles in Vibram FiveFingers® will increase both endurance and strength. This will have profound beneficial effects on your body and wellbeing. Listen to your body.
- Stop if your arches or the top of your foot is hurting, or if anything else hurts! Remember to transition slowly to Vibram FiveFingers in order to build strength in your lower legs and feet and to minimize discomfort. An adjustment period is normal, and any discomfort should decrease after a week or two of use. When running in FiveFingers®, sometimes arch and foot pain occurs from landing with your feet too far forward relative to your hips and having to point your toes too much. It can also occur from landing with too rigid a foot and not letting your heel drop gently.
-Stop and let your body heal if you experience pain. Sore, tired muscles are normal; bone, joint, or soft-tissue pain is a signal of injury.
-In the beginning, remember to carry your traditional footwear in your hands as a backup. If you need to stop in the middle of a workout, you can put on your cushioned running shoes and continue with your activity.
Step 1: Understand Your Feet
Vibram Fivefingers® assists the natural form and function of your foot. Before you make the transition to wearing Vibram FiveFingers®, it is important to familiarize yourself with your bare foot through our series of sensory exercises rovided by our fitness advisor Stacey Lei Krauss.
Your feet contain 52 bones, 66 joints, 40 muscles, and hundreds of sensory receptors, tendons, and ligaments—collectively forming two of the body’s most beautifully efficient mechanisms.Yet most people assume that there is something inherently “wrong” with their feet: too wide, too narrow, arches too high or flat, etc. Traditional shoes have become a way of “fixing” these assumed abnormalities. And, as a result, the powerful architecture of our feet has become hidden, disliked, and incredibly sensitive – even weakened. Feet have taken the brunt of a cultural notion that your foot is “wrong;” that corrective shoes will make it “right.”
By practicing our recommended sensory exercises, you’ll rediscover the vast potential of your feet and come to a better understanding of how they look, feel, and perform – before and after making the switch to Vibram FiveFingers®.
Step 2: Try Different Surfaces
Walk, feel, explore. Your feet will determine the pace of your progress.
The thin, flexible, and deconstructed sole of your Vibram FiveFingers® allows the foot to curl and flex. The five toes are separate—just like your feet!Because of these features,every step taken in Vibram FiveFingers® is a lesson in texture, temperature, and biomechanics.
Your feet are excellent at collecting information. Thousands of neurological receptors send valuable information to the brain to tell your body where it is in space and what the terrain is like. Actively stimulating these receptors improves balance, increases circulation, and enhances overall foot health.
• First, start by practicing our recommended sensory exercises and notice how your entire foot feels.
• Next, walk on different surfaces. This is one of the most obvious and easiest ways to stimulate and exercise the foot. With bare feet or in Vibram FiveFingers®, explore your home and its surroundings. Notice how your feet feel on smooth vs. rough surfaces and try to sense/recognize the signals that your feet send to your brain.
You’ll probably notice that your foot strike and stride instinctively adjust to different surfaces. Experiment in a safe, controlled way on grass, carpeting, pavement, dirt, pebbles, and smooth rock—keeping your eyes open for potential hazards or unfriendly objects.
Step 3: Foot Fitness Program
2-week strength training program.
Now that you have begun to familiarize yourself with your feet, you’ve probably noticed that they are pretty weak. Maybe it’s hard to spread or control your toes? Perhaps being barefoot for an extended amount of time leaves your feet sore or tired? To safely begin the transition to wearing Vibram FiveFingers® for running and fitness, we highly recommend the following foot strengthening exercises.
Practice the exercises below in 3 sets of 20 reps, 3-5X/week for 2 weeks. Your feet may feel tired afterwards, but you should not be in pain. Ultimately, this series of exercises will be part of your warm-up routine.
1. Heel raise
2. Toe grip
3. Dorsi/plantar flexion
4. Toe spread/tap
5. Exaggerated eversion/inversion
6. Grabbing a towel on the floor with toes and pass to other foot
7. Walking in Vibram FiveFingers®: never underestimate the power of just being barefoot or in Vibram FiveFingers®. One- to two-hour intervals of general day-to-day activity in your Vibram FiveFingers® is an excellent way to slowly build the small muscles in the feet and ankles.
"Conscious living has become a passion of mine since I switched to a highly nourishing Superfoods lifestyle seven years ago. This includes the discovery of trail running in Vibram FiveFingers as minimalist running was the perfect match. By eating and running consciously with longevity in mind I now experience the privilege of less injuries and sustainable high levels of natural energy. I wear my FiveFingers to work daily as it is a way for me to share this much needed message and to inspire people to consider new and vibrant ways of eating and moving. Tread lightly and upgrade your operating system with wholefoods and your body will sing for years to come!"
- Werner Daniel